Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Neighborhood Watch

Nothing gets by these two, unless of course it's cat nap time, in which case all bets are off. And heaven help another cat (or raccoon) that encroaches on their territory! Meeeooowww!

I'm really hoping for a quiet, emergency free weekend. Last weekend Mikko, he's the little brown and tan one on the right, had a seizure. This was just four days after he had three teeth pulled. We took him to the emergency vet, but don't know what caused the seizure. He hasn't had another one, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

I have to give kudos to the boy for being so great last Saturday. As usual, he is better in emergencies and is always good with the cats and I don't know what I would have done without him. (What's hotter than a cat man ladies?!) While I was sobbing and panicking, he was checking the Mikko's vitals and was able to give good information to the vet. Thanks honey!

I've since learned that if your cat has a seizure, you should remove objects that might hurt it, but try not to touch the cat until it's done and let the seizure happen naturally. Of course you don't want to let the cat fall off anything or go down the stairs. Turn off bright lights and any loud noises that might startle the cat when it's over. If you can record the episode, do so, it's very helpful for the vets. Also observe as much as you can about what happens, how long it lasts, how the cat responds (did the cat respond to visual or audio cues?). Once the seizure is over, your cat will probably be dazed, but then it's okay to comfort him as much as you want. I'd contact a vet regardless, but a seizure that lasts more than five minutes can be life threatening and you should go to the vet immediately. Of course it goes without saying that I'm not a vet or medical professional and you should do your own research and consult a vet with questions!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a few virtual scritches for Mikko; I hope he continues to do well. That must have been frightening for you; thanks for passing on the info on what to do during a seizure.

    And you're right. Cat Man = Sexy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin