Tuesday, January 8, 2008

No, It's Not a Good Idea to Use Exterior Paint Inside

Listen up kitties. Alex, the DIY cat, would like to remind you that it's not a good idea to save a buck and use leftover exterior paint to paint inside your home. Not even in a basement. Or if say a well-meaning friend gave you the paint for free and said it would be okay. Please just don't.

But don't just take Alex's word for it, True Value says:

Exterior paint is not durable for inside use. It may chalk excessively and/or the paint would not stick to the surface if it needs to be repainted. Exterior paint also contains mildewsides/fungicides that may smell when there is high humidity. It can even pose a health hazard due to the greater concentration of these mildewsides that are not normally used inside. Exterior paint used indoors may also worsen allergies.


4 comments:

  1. I had no idea! I thought it would be even BETTER inside! Funny what you find out. Luckily I have not painted inside with outside paint. I'll file it in my own mind for future use when I am tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I didn't know this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! I never would have guessed.

    Love your kitty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I painted my guest room with exterior latex paint yesterday then realized that might have been a bad idea. Will it be OK if I paint over it with interior latex paint?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin