Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Bulbs Are In!


I'm looking forward to more great views like this next spring since I planted 168 more bulbs. The last bulb went in this past Sunday.

For me the hardest part of bulb planting is not the planting itself. It's figuring out where I can fit in more bulbs that takes so darn long. I spread the work out over three Sundays so I could accomplish other outside chores too (putting away the pots, composting what remained of the tomatoes, giving my tools a good cleaning, fertilizing the yard for the first time ever, with organic stuff no less).

If you haven't planted bulbs, or want to check your technique (like me) take a gander at this video by Greengirl Connie Nelson. It reminded me that I can take better advantage of my limited garden space by layering bulbs.

Here's what I'm looking forward to seeing next spring:
  • 40 mixed daffodils (from Meijer)
  • 18 Triumph Tulips, 6 each of Holland Beauty, White Emperor and Don Quichotte (from Meijer)
  • 10 single pink tulips (from Oakland, a local nursery)
  • 5 double late Upstar pink tulips (from Meijer)
  • 25 Dutch Iris* (from Meijer)
  • 20 Grape Hyacinths (from Oakland, a local nursery)
  • 20 Chionodoxa Gigantea* (from Oakland, a local nursery)
  • 20 Puschkinia Libanotica* (from Oakland, a local nursery)
  • 10 ixiolirion Pallasii* (from Oakland, a local nursery)
  • 1 blushing belle peony* (from Wal-Mart)
The place I purchased the bulbs from is listed so I can compare the results.

* First bulb of this kind planted in my garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin