Sunday, April 11, 2010

Light or Dark?


I got a new end table as a gift from my mom. I love it, the size, the fact that it's round. The only thing I need is another one, but it was an auction find that she painted so finding a match may take some time.

But this new addition does cause a dilemma. Every piece of "wood" furniture in my living room is a different color, ranging from brown/black all the way to white. So what should I keep, and what should go?


I prefer the light, clean feeling of the white. But I can't imagine the coffee table in white and I wonder if painting everything white will be a bit much in combination with the fireplace. The boyfriend prefers the dark black/brown color of the coffee table, which I think might be too dark.

Lately I've been thinking about leaving the coffee table alone and painting everything else white. What to do, what to do? What say you Internets?

2 comments:

  1. Go with darker wood, the room already has a lot of white in it with the ceiling, trim and fireplace, and the yellow is a very light color as well. Darker wood will provide a nice contrast as opposed to blending in with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh, I so know what you are talking about. I often face the exact dilemma and find it hard to navigate. One of my problems is that some days I like the white and light colors (more forgiving to dust), other days I favor darker colors. There are some really good interior designers who can blend different wood tones and colors, or styles, without making it look like an awful mish mash. I wish I had their knowledge and that I could help you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin