Sunday, January 6, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Planting Time

I realized yesterday that I really miss gardening. I miss getting my hands in the dirt. I miss checking on the beds daily to see what has grown or bloomed. I definitely miss bringing in fresh tomatoes for dinner or flowers to spruce up the house. This is surprising because I'm a newbie who up until two seasons ago never gardened a day in my life. And by the end of last September I was so done, especially with the constant watering. But now, after a short break, I'm ready to get back out there.

Last night while we were out shopping, I happened to spot some seeds at the Andersons. "Seeds!" I cried happily, as if spotting a long-lost friend, while the boyfriend groaned loudly. Apparently he has had his fill of spending time with me in garden centers and aisles. Can't understand why.

I was especially happy to see these seeds because it's almost planting time, and I prefer to shop in person than online. Yes, you read that right, it's planting time , if you winter sow. I've never done it before so I have absolutely no advice to give, but I've been dying to try it since I read about it last season. Cheap plants without lights, mats, or other fancy indoor equipment? Count me in! Actually you can start winter sowing anytime after the winter solstice, but since central Ohio weather is so unpredictable, February seems like a good time to start. I might plant a jug or two today along with some cat grass just to scratch my gardening itch.

Now it's time for me to get serious. Time to whittle down my plant wishlist (which includes almost everything) to a realistic list of items for winter sowing. The Andersons had some tempting seeds to add to the list. I definitely, definitely will have to buy lemon cucumbers. Not for winter sowing, but to plant in the spring. I mention them because you must try them, they're delish. Of course I'll have to winter sow lots of cosmos after being sooo happy with them last season. I am also tempted to try cosmos bright lights, even though they don't fit in my typical gardening color scheme, their bright, cheerful colors are so tempting.

I fell asleep last night thinking about all the great possibilities for my garden next season. Maybe this is the year my sparse beds will begin to look like full, lush cottage garden beds. Maybe this is the year I'll have enough blooms outside to be able to bring more inside. Maybe I'll finally have too many blooms to list on Green Thumb Sunday! ;) Ah the possibilities of planting time...




Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

3 comments:

  1. I am also so very ready! I am starting my garden wishlist too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know that winter sowing isn't only possible, it's recommended. I've got some Shady Lady impatiens seed the Parks people recommend starting as seedlings, but where am I supposed to start 100 or so of them inside? But if I winter sow the seeds where they're to grow, before the scilla under them come up, something might just come of it.

    Yes, the lemon cukes are nice. I just wish I could keep mildew from making a beeline for every cucumber I plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - Well, it's my first year so I don't have any results to recommend yet. :) But with three nosy cats and a tiny house, there's no way I can start seeds indoors.

    I've never tried to grow cukes before. These puppies just HAVE to work tho. You can't buy lemon cukes around these parts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin