You know the ones. The "your life sucks if you live in one place and still have a 8-5 job" types. The ones who espouse how if you own more that 100 things, you're a consumerist moron. The Far Beyond the Stars aka Everett Bogue aka I'm-just-going-to-start-making-up-BS-to-see-how-long-people-keep-giving-me-money types.
There seems to be a well-established formula to becoming an IRYW minimalist:
- Revel in consumerist orgy for first 20-35 years of your life. Rack up some crazy debt.
- Finally wake up one day and realize massive debt sucks.
- Sell your crap until you own less than 100 things. Obviously books don't count. Nor do socks.Or anything you share with another person. Or anything once sat on or licked by another person. Or anything with purple-polka dots. Or lizards.
- Start a blog.
- Cut living expenses to bone by sleeping on friend's couch. Pay off debts
- Tell everyone they are idiots if they ever buy anything or own anything.
- Quit your job.
- Write e-book about how much better your life is now that you completed steps 1-7.
- Offer said e-book for sale for the low, low price of $19.99.
- Somehow build online audience despite acting like complete douchebag.
- Tell your readers they are complete morons who need to get a life and that the only solution is to buy your e-book for $19.99.
- Write second e-book about how easy it is to make a living writing and selling e-books.
- Decide you can't be bothered having discussions with unwashed masses anymore and turn off blog comments.
- Remind people that they are still morons and you now have super-duper double e-book package on sale for $49.95 and they are super-duper morons if they don't buy two!
- Declare blogs are dead and bloggers are morons. Offer elite subscriber's special newsletter instead for amazing, super low, never-before-heard-of price of $100/month.
Obviously I exaggerate, but am I the only one who absolutely does not understand the popularity of certain blogs that are just dripping with arrogance? Take relative newcomers, The Minimalists. Now, I'll be the first to admit that these guys are nowhere near the level of the aforementioned total whackjob, yet still certain posts of theirs just make me want to smack them. Like a recent post about how you need to ditch your DVDs and get a life. Because, obvi, owning DVDs means one is a pathetic hoarder who does not have a life whereas knowing exactly how many possessions one owns equals living EXTREME. I can't dispute this on their blog, however, because they can't be bothered with accepting comments. So instead I shall rant here.
And really, how many black and white photographs of themselves do two 30-something men need?
Ah, thanks, I feel better now.
p.s. Apologizes to EcoCatLady for borrowing her blog post format just this once.