Saturday, April 7, 2012

AEP: Green Fail!


Is it just me, or is there something wrong with the above mailing I got from AEP? The front says "Imagine the difference we can make to the environment and our wallet." The mailing promotes AEP's Smart thermostat, which gives consumers up to $40 credit over the summer if you turn over control of your thermostat to AEP. With all the grass and trees pictured it just screams "help save the environment."

So what's the problem?

The darn thing is made of plastic! Oh, sure they it contains a whopping 15% post-consumer waste. Whoopie!

Wouldn't it have been greener to, I dunno, e-mail me? Which they have, and the fact that I didn't respond would have been a clue that I'm not interested. Or if you absolutely insist on sending me junk mail, at least use paper which is recyclable, as opposed to this plastic card, which isn't in our area. I mean, how much energy and oil was used to make these darn things and send them out? Didn't it occur to anyone that plastic cards might not be the greenest way of promoting this program?

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin