Monday, January 30, 2012

Even More Ways to Use Coconut Oil

photo by Chiot's Run on flickr

Insect repellent / rust remover / deep conditioner / body moisturizer / aftershave

Is there anything coconut oil can't do? Besides clean my house and file my taxes, that is. Ok, it's not a miracle oil, but it sure is handy. I found even more uses of coconut oil today in Apartment Therapy's post of "15 Non-Edible Uses for Coconut Oil, yes these are new-to-me ideas on top of what is already listed in Crunchy Betty's "A Millionish Uncommon (and Not So Uncommon) Uses for Coconut Oil."

Since it's also been almost two months since I started using coconut oil as a moisturizer and deodorant (with baking soda and cornstarch), I thought I would give you an update.

Thumbs up:
  • Coconut oil is a kick ass moisturizer - Not only does it smell great, but my skin feels moisturized all day, without being greasy.

  • Popping popcorn - Popcorn popped in coconut oil is de-lish.

  • Athlete's foot - Ok, I'm sure you're thinking TMI, I don't wanna know about your icky feet! But I'm only telling you this because we're friends. My feets tend to get itchy, red and hot, but since I've been applying coconut oil on them daily I haven't noticed any of these issues.
Thumbs down:
  • Lip balm - It's great for about five seconds but it's absorbed almost instantly. I prefer lip balm with more staying power, so I'm sticking with Burt's Bees on this one.

  • Coconut oil/baking soda/corn starch deodorant - I mentioned before that this stung a little, but it chafed a whole LOT. I kept up with it for a few weeks, despite it being pretty messy, but the day the skin on my pits peeled off was the day I stopped using this. Maybe I'll try adding some coco butter next time a' la Crunchy Chicken's recipe. Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin