Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy 2012!


Its beginning to look a lot like the holidays are over. The decorations at min hus have been packed and put away. My living room looks super huge minus a large blue tree. I'm hoping that Alex, the big, old fuzzball, won't be too depressed now that his great love, the fake tree, has been put away for another year. I have a feeling he'll be spending much less time in the living room with me. *sniffle*

You want to do what with my box and my tree?

And, oh yeah, I have to go back to work tomorrow after 11 blissful days off. Le sigh. The mere thought of going back to work makes me a sad panda, but that is a post for another day.

Besides the whole work thing, I don't mind seeing the backside of 2011. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out, biaatch.

It seems like everyone is talking about resolutions now, and doing year end reviews. The idea of either makes me feel very meh. Are you a resolution-setter? Me? Notso much. During the years I have set goals, my birthday has always felt like a much more natural time to do so. This year, I don't have any resolutions or goals per se, but some guiding principles I'd like to try and adhere to:
  1. Spend less - My expenses are fairly low and my tastes are far from extravagant, but I would still like to be able to save more. Hopefully this year, by tracking my spending carefully, and buying less of my wants (specifically clothes, beauty and hair products and alcohol), I'll be able to do so.

  2. Eat less crap - The boy and I are trying to buy and eat much, much less processed food, and hopefully lose a few pounds in the process.

  3. Waste less - An alarming amount of the produce and fresh food we do buy ends up in the compost pile instead of our tummies. We hope to fix that by paying more attention to what needs to be used, and when.

Here's hoping that 2012 is kind to us all.


4 comments:

  1. I'm not big on resolutions either... seems like it just sets more rules, and as far as I can tell, we've all got enough of those already.

    I too have struggled with the "veggies turned science projects" issue. It can get really bad during garden season if I don't stay on top of it.

    I find that it really helps to make something with them ASAP. In other words... if you're making salad, and you have more veggies than you need... go ahead and chop them up anyhow, and store the excess in an airtight container. I find that I'm much more likely to use them that way because they seem "ready to eat" as opposed to half a cucumber, pepper and whatever else sitting in the veggie drawer turning soggy.

    Same goes for cooked veggies too. Instead of just preparing what you need for the meal, use it all up and store the excess "ready to eat". It doesn't take any more time to steam, or roast (or however you're preparing it) the entire head of broccoli or cabbage, or cauliflower, or whatever veggies you're making... and then all you have to do is nuke them for the next meal. Worst case scenario you can freeze the prepared veggies and use them later.

    Perhaps this only reveals that, at heart, I am a total lazy bum... but it's really helped me to avoid the nasty slimy surprises at the back of the veggie drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a kitty that looks a lot like yours! I don't make resolutions either but like to give myself monthly themes or challenges. Hope your new year is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out, biaatch."
    I felt similarly about 2010. I like to aim low when it comes to resolutions. One year, having grown tired of Squirrel's complaints about my grooming time, I resolved to spend even more time in the bathroom.
    As for the veggies, the friend I house traded with had some funny looking balls in her produce drawer. Whatever they were, they kept a head of lettuce crisp for the entire 2 weeks we were there. I guess I should think about eating healthier too considering I gave no thought to actually consuming that lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine - I like you even more after reading about your bathroom resolution! Reminds me of one of my favorite stories from the internets:
    http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles. And if you find out what those strange balls were, let me know! <-- rereading this sentence makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin