Wednesday, November 26, 2008

From Fugly to Fabulous: A Fireplace Makeover Story

Finally I could stand it no longer, I had to do something about the hideousness that was my fireplace. I wouldn't paint just any brick fireplace, but this thing was the most hideously fugly red brick fireplace and required drastic action. Words can't even describe it, so I'd better just show you:

I've been loathing this monstrosity for three years. But finally, after being inspired by so many great white fireplaces, I painted the brick (using primer and high gloss enamel) and sprayed the insert a cast-iron aluminum color. I even cleaned out the ash and leftover burnt wood from the firebox first, which was the part I dreaded most. I'll probably paint the mantle white too eventually, but I wanted to try it au natural for a while first.

I'd still like to embellish it with a wood surround and new mantle someday, but for now, I'm pretty happy.

*Tip: Check the auto-supply store for an even wider range of colors that can withstand high heat than what you'll find at the home-improvement store.

7 comments:

  1. That looks really, really good. I'm trying to convince the fiance we should either paint ours or tear it out--it's fake, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it looks so much better in white! Great job! :) With a weather like this I can only dream of having a fireplace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies. Unfortunately this fireplace would require major fixes for me to be able to light a real fire, but the candles look much nicer in white. :)

    This is one of my favorite projects I've done around here - it's so much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should keep the wood mantel. It makes a nice contrast to the white brick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOOKS AWESOME!! GREAT JOB!! -- We are looking fwd to following your style !! Can you recommend the paint, primer etc....of what we should use? THANK YOU! again...Great work!
    - Ralph & Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Kilz primer and a high gloss enamel for the main paint. Since it's been four years now, I don't remember exactly which brand of paint I used. I'd go with whatever brand you prefer. I definitely didn't use any special paint because of the brick.

      Delete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin