Monday, October 27, 2008

No-Cost Decorating

Like most everyone, I feel the need to curb unnecessary spending these days, despite a raging desire to improve, redo, and finish decorating the house. I hit a few thrift stores over the weekend, but as usual I completely struck out. Then I remembered the "rearrange and reuse what you have to freshen your decor without spending money" tip which I've read no less than five times this month. So I decided to try it to see if it would curb my shopping lust. The arrangement on my fireplace mantle is an example of something I've never quite gotten right, so it seemed like a good place to start.

The first problem I encountered is that anything I own and like is already on display. I confirmed this suspicion by going through all my boxes in the attic and basement and realizing that yup, there's nothing good hidden away that I forgot about.

First I tried removing the small items. I liked the clean look, but it was a little too minimal, even for me.


Then I tried adding some art that still hasn't made it on the wall in the three short years I've lived here. That felt like too much and was too symmetrical, another compulsion I struggle with.


Finally I tried just one picture, which is the look I settled on, for awhile at least, even though the boy doesn't like it. I think it's am improvement and even a small change like this does make the entire room feel a bit fresher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin