Friday, September 19, 2008

What a Couple of Weeks: Relaxation, Jubilation and Frustration

Here's the hopefully not too long story of why I haven't posted in so long.

Kure Beach by flickr user Stephie189

First, the boy and I had a lovely vacation in Carolina Beach, North Carolina. We swam at two different beaches, had some great seafood at Michael's (de-lish!), saw someone catch a baby shark on the Pier at Kure Beach (pictured above) and even went to a snake museum (I didn't love that bit). I'd share some pictures, ones I actually took, but I left my camera in North Carolina. Hopefully it's on its way home now.

On the way home last Monday, we found out that the remains of Hurricane Ike blew through central Ohio and caused some damage and a LOT of power outages. At one point hundreds of thousands of people were without power, in fact mine just came back last night, then went out again this morning, then came back again this afternoon. Luckily there wasn't any damage to min hus, just a gutter ripped off the garage. It could have been much worse and in fact WAS much worse for many.

It was surreal going to the grocery store last night (I threw EVERYTHING out of the fridge and freezer on Monday) and seeing rows of empty shelves where the dairy, frozen food and meat departments should have been. Today as I was driving home from work I saw several caravans of utility trucks all over the city. And to those hard-working folks I have one thing to say: thank you!


The jubilation part? Well that's because my sweet Alex hasn't needed insulin in 14 days!! Apparently cats can go into remission sometimes and it's looking like Alex is one of the lucky ones. So if you or anyone you know has a diabetic pet, please know it's not always a permanent condition, but it's always worth treating. And if you have a diabetic cat, the folks at Feline Diabetes can really help.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you two had a great vacation! We're just reading your blog here with N - she's enjoying it as well!
    Hopefully we'll be seeing more pictures as you get your camera bag!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for vacations and for blog entries

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin