Sunday, September 15, 2024

A crispy September Bloom Day

I'm excited to see these Sky Blue Asters (Symphyotrichum oolentangiense) finally blooming in it's second year.

Unfortunately it's crispy here as in dry, not the temperature. Our drought has worsened to an extreme drought. Luckily there aren't water restrictions in our city, but there are some restrictions and burn bans south of here, where the drought is even worse.

I am still watering, but not as much as I have been and only the newly planted and flowering annuals.

One of the newer plants is this 'Firefly Fuschia' Yarrow. I just love it.

I'm also loving the Shooting Stars dahlias grown from seeds from Floret Flower Farm. This pink beauty is my favorite.


This one is eye-catchingly moody.


This dahlia that I planted last year was labeled Penhill Watermelon, which it certainly isn't. Perhaps it's Penhill Dark Monarch? Regardless, I love it. This color is one I probably wouldn't have picked out but compliments my other dahlias nicely, especially Otto's Thrill. 

'Otto's Thrill' dahlia


The 'Apricotta' cosmos are blooming consistently despite the drought and pests.

The zinnias are still blooming like crazy and the 'Senorita' zinnias have been especially gorgeous this year. I'll definitely be saving seeds from this one.

Here is a nice moment in the front flower bed featuring a variety of zinnias, a peek of salvia farinacea and my volunteer tomato patch in the background.

This has probably been my best year ever for nasturtium and I have several varieties in bloom, but I think these are the prettiest.

I'm also really loving this serendipitous combination of Brown-Eyed Susans and purple basil.

That's about it for what is blooming in my garden in September, but you can visit May Dreams Gardens to see what is blooming in other gardens around the globe.

2 comments:

  1. All so pretty! I grew Senorita once, it's striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dahlias are to die for! So many beautiful varieties... and that pink Zinnia is lovely too. I haven't tried the 'Senorita' Zinnias, but after seeing yours, I'm inspired to try some next summer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin