Sunday, October 16, 2022

October blooms

The gardening season is definitely winding down in my central Ohio zone 6a garden, and the plants are looking tired. But there are a few blooms left. Take a look at what is blooming for Garden Blogger's Bloom Day.

As with last month, the dahlias are the stars of my garden right now. This is my first year growing dahlias and though I only planted two varieties I'm officially addicted.

Otto's Thrill dinnerplate dahlia

I've only had four blooms of Otto's Thrill, a dinnerplate dahlia variety, but they're absolutely gorgeous. I've read they're late bloomers, so perhaps it's just that or perhaps they need more sun than they're getting in this spot but I'm glad I got to see them. They also don't last long in a vase, but did I mention how pretty they are? They seem to be really getting into gear now and there are lots of blooms ready to burst but unfortunately I don't think they'll have time for more than perhaps one more blossom to fully open.

Sweet Love dahlia

Sweet Love dahlia on the other hand has been blooming its head off since late July. I just love it and it has earned another year in my garden thanks to being such a prolific bloomer. Plus the blooms also have a great vase life.

pink and fuschia zinnia blooms
Queen lime zinnia (left) with Cut and Come Again Zinnias (right)

The zinnias are still blooming although they are definitely looking tired and at least half of them have powdery mildew. I'm not as in love with the zinnias I planted this year as I was last year so I'm going to change things up next season. There are so many zinnia varieties to try though so changing things up isn't a bad thing.

White conflowers

The White Swan coneflowers I grew from seed this year bloomed late in the season and should put on an even better show next year.


And I couldn't resist including the rare Donnie flower. He's a neighbor kitty who loves to visit and hang out with us whenever we're outside and has become my gardening buddy.

We're expecting frost and a freeze this week which will finally mark the end of this year's season, but this feels like bonus time anyway since I thought last weekend's frost be the end.

My end of season "frost is coming" bouquets
are always some of the prettiest.

Visit May Dreams Gardens to see what is blooming in other gardens around the globe.

4 comments:

  1. Donnie is a cutie! I grew Dahlia 'Otto's Thrill" for a couple of years. I'm not sure what happened to my tubers as I love that variety too. Coneflowers are generally grown as expensive annuals here but 'White Swan' is worth the money - I'd be growing it now if I could find it locally ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kris! Did your Otto’s Thrill bloom late in the season too? I find regional gardening differences quite interesting, but yes, I’m a fan of White Swan too.

      Delete
  2. Love your ‘frost is coming’ bouquet - so pretty. And your ‘Donnie’ flower is pretty special too 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, Donnie is a special little flower in more ways than one! ☺️

      Delete

Comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Note: Comments are moderated in order to keep this a spam/ad-free forum.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin